Other places with additional terms that might affect you
This sets out the permitted and prohibited uses of our site. When using our site, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
If you purchase a QuickReview from our site, our QuickReview terms and conditions will apply.
If you purchase documents from our site, our purchase terms and conditions will apply.
For any other services we might offer that are not listed above, we’ll provide you with separate terms and conditions of business. Please contact us to request a copy of the relevant policy.
Who are we?
www.lhs-solicitors.com is a site operated by LHS Solicitors LLP ("we" or “us”).
We’re a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registration number OC325244 and our registered office is The Observatory, Chapel Walks, Manchester M2 1HL, which is also our main trading address. Our VAT number is 245 736 349.
We’re regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We’re not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority but we are included on the register maintained by the Financial Conduct Authority so that we can carry on insurance mediation activity.
We are an alternative business structure for the provision of legal services (and not a traditional law firm) and, we’re part of a large business organisation. Abbey Protection Group Limited is our ‘corporate member’ (a bit like a parent company in normal corporate terms but not quite the same). Markel Corporation is the ultimate holding company for Abbey Protection Group Limited.
Changes to these Terms
What you’ll find on our site and what it means if we change what’s on it
We strive hard to ensure that the content we put on our site is helpful, valuable to users and that it remains relevant. We do update our site from time to time, and we may change the content and documents referred to on it at any time. We don’t guarantee or imply by any means that the materials on this site are fully up to date, accurate or complete and we’re not obliged to do so although we do make significant efforts to ensure that they are.
In the same way, we don’t guarantee that our site, or any content on, or referred to on it, will be free from errors or omissions, but we make considerable efforts to ensure that there are none.
Accessing our Site
Your visits and your custom matters to us. There’s no charge for using our site and we really hope you like it and come back often.
We try to ensure that whenever you need us, the site is accessible and fully working although we don’t and can’t guarantee that it, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Like most other commercial websites, access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis and if we have to, we’re allowed to suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. If for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period then we’re not liable to you for that fact – although we’ll always try to get everything working smoothly as early as we can.
We hope you always find us easy to get to and that everything works perfectly when you get here. We spend a lot of time trying to ensure that you always get a good experience when you do and that we’re compatible with all the usual browsers and platforms that our clients usually expect. Unfortunately we can’t control what you use to reach us or how you operate it, so that part of getting to our site is up to you.
Our site is directed at people residing in the United Kingdom. We don’t and can’t guarantee that content available on or through our site is appropriate or available in other locations. We may limit the availability of our site or any service or product described on our site to any person or geographic area at any time. If you’ve chosen to access our site from outside the United Kingdom, then this has to be at your own risk.
Your Account and Password
If at any point you choose, or you’re provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you agree to always treat this information as confidential and never to disclose it to someone else.
If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry, but our designs and materials belong to us
(Intellectual Property Rights)
The content, designs and ideas represented on our site have been enthusiastically and painstakingly created by us and we’re really proud of them. We’re delighted to share them with you and we’ve designed them with your needs and requirements in mind. But please don’t copy them. Legally, we own all intellectual property rights on our site and in the material we’ve published on it - these rights are recognised by copyright laws and treaties around the world and we reserve them all.
Of course, you may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and we certainly don’t mind you drawing the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site. It’s designed to help you after all. But we don’t and won’t ever agree to you using any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes - unless you first obtain an express licence to do so from us or our licensors.
Except for digital content that we’ve expressly provided to you so you can complete it, for example to use as a template or handy form/questionnaire, you mustn’t in any way modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you print off or download from our site. The same rules apply to our illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics.
You should always acknowledge us (and / or any identified contributors) as the authors of content on, or taken by any means from, our site.
It’s not legal advice
There is loads of great information on our site. We’ve packed it full of helpful material to give you reliable information about what to expect and how to manage your own situation. And that’s what you’ll find throughout our site: information, not legal advice. Although if you’d like some advice or a friendly chat, please do get in touch and we can certainly discuss matters with you, identify your options and make recommendations - all tailored to you and your particular legal advice needs, requirements, ideas or ambitions.
It doesn’t have to be us, of course. But we always recommend that you get legal advice before making any decisions or acting on what you find on our site.
Limitation of our Liability
Bear with us, we’re also obliged to point out the following (much of which is relevant to the point we made earlier about you not finding legal advice, only information, on our site):
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may otherwise apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
- We won’t be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- Use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- Use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
- Whatever the purpose of your visit to our site and however you intend to use us, we just need to point out that we only provide our site for domestic and private use (including by businesses seeking information). You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for:
- Any loss of profit or revenue; or
- Loss of business; or
- Business interruption; or
- Loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- Any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
- We’ve developed this site with experts and taken all the advice you’d expect us to so that we can guard against cyber-attacks and viruses. But we also need to make clear that under these terms, we won’t be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
- We do contain links to some other websites, mostly those belonging to government bodies and legal institutions - i.e. sites containing helpful and relevant information that you could easily find independently and could reasonably expect to rely on. It’s also usually flattering when someone else links to our site too. But we aren’t and can’t be held responsible for the content of websites linked to our site. Please don’t interpret these links as endorsement by us of those linked websites - because we aren’t endorsing them and we don’t control or influence them. It follows then that we can’t and won’t be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of or reliance on them.
- Our QuickReview service: different limitations and exclusions of liability apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of our QuickReview service to you, which are set out in our QuickReview terms and conditions.
Uploading Content to our Site
Our Acceptable Use Policy sets out the content standards to follow whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site.
Don’t worry - these standards aren’t onerous or unreasonable and you shouldn’t have any difficulty with them, but you should make sure you’ve read and understood them. Briefly summarised, this policy makes sure that you don’t use our site in any illegal or immoral way.
- Any content that you upload to our site complies with those standards. If it doesn’t comply with them, you agree to indemnify us if as a result of your upload, we later suffer damage or inconvenience of any reasonable description. We reserve the right to waive this indemnity if in our opinion only, the harm done is of a nature that we can remedy without too much effort.
- Whenever you upload content to our site, you keep all of your ownership rights in that content. At the same time, you agree to grant us a limited licence to use, store and copy that content and if need be, to distribute and make it available to third parties, for the purposes of providing you with the service you’ve requested (and only if we’re allowed to). The particular rights you license to us are described in the next paragraph (The Rights you licence to us).
- Please back up and secure your content before you upload documents to our site. You are solely responsible for keeping your material safe.
The Rights you License to us
To advise you responsibly and thoroughly, we may need to do many things with the content that you upload to us. There’s nothing unusual about this. If you gave us these materials directly, we would still need to process and use your documents in a similar fashion, perhaps to draft you a contract or a witness statement, maybe to reproduce your intellectual property in order to defend it, definitely if we need to make copies or present extracts for court files and obligatory disclosures. So when you upload or post content to our site, you automatically grant us the following licences:
- A perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform that content in connection with the services provided by our site and across different media and to promote the site or services; and
- A perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable licence to allow third parties to use the content for their purposes.
We’ll only ever use your materials to carry out your instructions to us – unless, very exceptionally, a court or other regulator orders us to disclose them.
We’ve developed this site with experts and taken all the advice you’d expect us to so that we can guard against cyber-attacks and viruses. But we also need to make clear that under these terms, we don’t guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You’re responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platforms in order to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software and we strongly recommend that you do so for your own protection.
It shouldn’t need to be said but since there are unscrupulous people out there, our site must not be misused by persons who knowingly introduce viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. For the avoidance of any doubt, you agree not to do this. In similar fashion, you mustn’t attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. We understand it’s possible to attack our site by what’s technically called ‘a denial-of-service attack’ or ‘a distributed denial-of service attack’ - like us, you’re probably not 100% sure what these horrible things are - which is a good thing as it means you’re not a criminal! - but for the sake of completeness, you agree not to do this to us or our site as well.
If you break this agreement with us by doing any of the activities that we’ve agreed you won’t do to us, it does make you a criminal and you’ll be guilty of a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we’ll co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them and requesting their help. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
Linking to our Site
We’re happy for you to link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and doesn’t damage our reputation or take advantage of it. Our site mustn’t be framed on any other site and we don’t consent to the creation of a link to any part of our site other than the home page. Please don’t establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists – we don’t consent to this. And please also don’t establish a link to our site in any website that isn’t owned by you – again, that’s not part of our agreement with you. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our linking permissions without notice. The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy. If you’d like to make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact email@example.com.
Third Party Links and Resources in our Site
Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
We strive hard to ensure that we deliver 100% satisfaction to all our users and customers on every occasion. Client success and your best interests lie at the heart of what we do. Indeed, it is one of our guiding philosophies and a benchmark by which we measure how well we’re doing, so we never want to lose sight of this or to get it wrong. But in the event that one of us is not happy with our relationship – however it’s been formed and whatever we’ve been doing together - we both agree here that:
elXtr is a UK registered trademark of LHS Solicitors LLP.
To contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for visiting our site.